Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Entertainment or Learning Tool?

I find it encouraging that the three of you do feel fairly comfortable in the world of technology. I wonder if you feel as comfortable using it purposefully in a teaching/learning objective?  I, myself, have to continue to force myself to bring these technologies into my own teaching repertoire.  The new literacies assignment and my own creation of our class wiki are an example of exactly this.  I find it interesting to consider the entertainment/learning issue with technology. It reminds me of television... Too much TV isn't educative, but TV can and should be used to inform. Is the same thing true with the Internet and other technologies available. Is too much of a good thing negative?  How can we purposefully create units or assignments or performance assessments that allow our students to use and display their technological knowledge/skill? Do you also wonder about the inequities in technology availability?  When I worked in DC I was part of a group that worked on something called the "E-Rate" which provided high-speed internet to ALL schools... is this something we should, as teachers, be advocates for?  Can we bring technology to our students if it isn't in our schools?

No comments:

Post a Comment