Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Post 2- Ashleigh

What is your definition of literacy? How has it changed after the readings and today's discussion? What would your ideal literacy learning environment look like and why?

My current definition of literacy, similar to most of those discussed in class, includes the ability to consume, produce, and respond to written and spoken language. Our class discussion definitely made me consider the ways in which we see literacy as essential to one's intellectual development, and it often seems difficult to separate the two. As we discussed, it's not enough to be able to read the words off a page if you don't understand what you're reading...similarly, it may not be enough to simply understand what you are reading if you are unable or unwilling to question and challenge what you read or hear. As teachers, I think we always aim to help our students accomplish these complex literacy tasks, but a strong foundation in basic literacy skills (such as decoding) is necessary to build anything beyond that basic level. The readings and class discussion brought to my attention further complications to this definition, including students with disabilities, although there do seem to be ready-made alternatives to the standard definition. While there wasn't anything in the day's readings that shocked me or was especially new, it is always helpful to see arguments about literacy instruction laid out in an organized way. I was especially intrigued with the Leland piece that discussed critical literacy, which leads into my ideal literacy learning environment...

As a part of my ideal literacy learning environment in my classroom, I would like to include many of the aspects that we observe in many classrooms and often discuss in class--a comfortable area devoted to reading, a wide variety of books that appeal to students of all interests and abilities, and depending upon the age level that I will teach, easy-to-access resources such as a word wall, phonics resources, or other materials. I plan to read aloud to my students and also include individual reading for fun, for projects, and for group sharing/book clubs. I especially like the idea of critical literacy to build students' awareness of conflicts and issues in their own lives and in the lives of others. Ultimately, we, as teachers, are trying to prepare our students to become effective citizens that work to create positive change, and I think that the types of books highlighted in this article help students to become more empathetic toward others and aware of the consequences of their own and others' actions. Leland described the ways in which one classroom dynamic changed to become more cohesive and supportive, likely due (at least in part) to the choice of literature, and hopefully this change would reach beyond that year and later into the students' lives. While this would definitely have to remain only one part of a balanced approach to literacy, I think it can definitely motivate students and create more meaningful learning experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment