Monday, January 19, 2009

Week 1 Blog

Well to start with, I do have some definite goals during my participation in this course. I feel that in the past we have learned about literacy instruction and how to encourage students to read and to love reading. I do not, however, feel like we've learned how to cater language arts lessons to struggling learners or how to specifically teach a student how to read. So far, it seems like students should instantly learn to read or they struggle. Therefore, I'd like to know specifically how to teach students how to read, how I can identify literacy problems early, and how to help these students with problems. I think that ensuring that these struggling students have successful experiences is important, but not the complete answer.

Because I went to school in a suburban setting and have really had only one experience in a low-income school, Mt. Hope Elementary, I don't think that I am adequately prepared to teach in an urban setting or a low income rural setting. I would like to learn more about the effects of poverty on literacy and how, as a teacher, I can counteract this negative aspect. I know that many times students in urban schools do not have parental involvement at home, which would help support their literacy attainment, and this can also be detrimental. Another goal for this semester then would be for me to discover ways to support students who do not have academic support at home, because either their parents are unavailable to help or apathetic.

As far as language arts instruction in general, I would like to learn more about the GLCEs for different age levels. I'd also like to learn about how to create engaging lessons for students of all ages and literacy achievement levels. When I was in elementary school, I really enjoyed reading time and discussion within class, so I would like to ensure my own classroom had solid language arts activities as well.

Moreover, a goal for my teaching in general is to be a teacher like Mr. Falker. I've had the story read to me before, and I thought it was very touching then, and I still do now. It's amazing that a teacher can touch a child so deeply by just treating them like a valuable human being and giving them love that they don't usually get which can change their lives. It reminds me why I want to be a teacher, because I want to treat each of my students with love and respect, and infuse in them a love of learning and a path to academic success.

No comments:

Post a Comment