Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What is your definition of literacy? How has it changed after the readings and today's discussion? What would your ideal literacy learning environment look like and why?

My Original Definition: Literacy is the ability to read and write, and to be able to comprehend ideas, and put your own ideas logically into writing.

What I forgot: Literacy has much to do with communication! Literacy also requires students to be able to function in a changing world.

My New Definition: Literacy is the ability to read, write, and communicate, so that one can comprehend ideas, put ideas into writing, and finally be able to function in an ever-changing, technological world.

My ideas about literacy changed quite a bit after reading and then discussing the readings. I definitely think Cambourne's 8 Steps are imperative when learning literacy in the classroom. While not all 8 steps may be going on at once, the teacher needs to be sure to know that students are using these steps (i.e. Responsibility), or that these steps are being taught to them (i.e. Demonstration).

I also truly enjoyed learning more about Cultural Literature. I thought the Leland article did a great job of showing how Cultural Literature is necessary in the classroom, as we as educators are responsible for our students learning about the diverse world around them, thus creating mutual acceptance.

When I have the opportunity to start implementing literacy to my students, I will make sure to follow what I have learned from the readings. Students and teachers/guardians/parents will be required to work together, literature of all backgrounds will be available, students will be required to work together, and finally students will need to work toward greater understanding (i.e. reading more texts, writing papers, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment